Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is EndNote?
EndNote is a reference management package which can help you collect, organise and format references.
You can use it to:
- Create a library of references imported directly from the library catalogue and other databases
- Create instant bibliographies
- Add citations to your word-processed document and create a bibliography in the referencing style you require (Harvard, Chicago, MHRA, APA, Vancouver etc.)
There are two versions of EndNote available, EndNote X9 known as EndNote Desktop and a smaller online version of the package called EndNote Online. EndNote Desktop is installed on university computers for use by staff and students at the University of Brighton. EndNote Online is free and can be accessed on any computer, both on and off campus. A free EndNote X9 download for your personal devices (e.g. desktop and laptops) is also available for university staff and students from our EndNote software page
How do I access EndNote?
Desktop Version of EndNote
- The Desktop version (currently X9) is installed on all student and staff machines on campus including computer poolrooms and libraries.It is accessible from the programs menu.
- All University of Brighton staff and students can now install EndNote X9 desktop version on their own personal devices (e.g. desktop and laptop) for free as part of the university's site licence. See the EndNote Software page for information on how to do this.
- Staff need to contact the Service Desk if the program is not already installed on their PC.
EndNote Online version
- This is available to all staff and students by registering online for an account. It is available online from any computer with an internet connection. Instructions on how to register are below.
Which one do I use?
- The Desktop version of EndNote is recommended for staff or researchers or those who primarily work on campus. The Online version is recommended for undergraduates and masters students or those who want to work mostly off campus.
Registering for EndNote Online
EndNote Online accounts are freely available to everyone but as a member of the University of Brighton you are entitled to an enhanced account which allows you access to more storage space and referencing styles.
In order to access the enhanced UoB account you must register in either of the following ways:
- Sign up for an account. The email address does not have to be a university one. If you would like to continue using your account after you leave the university register with a personal account. Alternatively you can sign up via Facebook or LinkedIn
- Click on the sign-in link at the top of the page and on the next screen click on Register. (If you have already registered for Web Of Knowledge then you can use the same login to access Endnote online).
- Register for an account by supplying an email address (this doesn't have to be your university email) and password.
- Once registered click on the EndNote tab at the top of the page to access EndNote online.
- Any time after registering you can access Endnote online from any computer by going direct to the EndNote website.